Wednesday, February 1, 2023

More Prepared Than You Think

 

More Prepared Than You Think

1 Timothy 4: 11 Give them these instructions and these teachings. 12 Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, faith, and purity. 13 Until I come, give your time and effort to the public reading of the Scriptures and to preaching and teaching. 14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift that is in you, which was given to you when the prophets spoke and the elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things and devote yourself to them, in order that your progress may be seen by all. 16 Watch yourself and watch your teaching. Keep on doing these things, because if you do, you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

 

============

 

Worried about my young age and lack of experience, I stayed awake at night preparing for the class I had to teach. I was going to be in front of experienced people and I only had training. The person who was training me must have seen the look of dread on my face. “Just be yourself” were the words used to help me calm down.

 

  • I was nervous about what I would say.
  • I didn’t want to mess up.
  • I felt that everyone was “above” me and I was inexperienced.

 

Paul gives Timothy words of encouragement. Timothy may have felt nervous about his age or experience teaching. He was about to teach a very controversial subject and had a right to be nervous. Paul gives him advice to keep him focused on the primary goal, salvation.

 

My Observations

  • I may get nervous when GOD calls me to do something new that I do not have experience in.
  • I may get tempted to talk myself out of doing what GOD wants me to do even when HE has gifted me in doing so,
  • I must stay focused on the ultimate goal, namely salvation because my life and others depend on it.

 

Feeling unprepared and unworthy seem to go with the territory of speaking about JESUS. I mean, if I were to compare myself to experienced people who speak, teach and preach about JESUS, I would shy away from doing so. BUT GOD wants me to reach specific people with my style.

 

Practice makes perfect so I need to get out and “be an example”, sometimes making mistakes. Careful attention needs to be had with GOD’s word so I must watch myself and align my thinking to GOD’s Word. I am glad HE stretches me and overlooks my mistakes as I grow.

 

Challenge

  • How do you think Timothy felt?
  • Do you think the writer was trying to encourage him to keep going?
  • Have you ever felt unprepared or unworthy to speak about JESUS?
  • Will you be yourself and use the gifts GOD has given you to express the love of CHRIST today?

No comments:

Post a Comment