Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Purposeful Perseverance

 

Purposeful Perseverance

2 Timothy 1: 11 God has appointed me as an apostle and teacher to proclaim the Good News, 12 and it is for this reason that I suffer these things. But I am still full of confidence, because I know whom I have trusted, and I am sure that he is able to keep safe until that Day what he has entrusted to me. 13 Hold firmly to the true words that I taught you, as the example for you to follow, and remain in the faith and love that are ours in union with Christ Jesus. 14 Through the power of the Holy Spirit, who lives in us, keep the good things that have been entrusted to you.

 

============

 

Quitting the track team was easy. I simply told the coach, I would not be back the next year. Years later, I found myself doing other things that were stressful or unfulfilling. I quit those things too. And when I did not get my way, I quit GOD.

 

  • I wanted life to be a certain way and it wasn’t.
  • I made excuses for not following GOD because it seemed like HE wasn’t listening to me.
  • I prayed about things and they did not go “my” way so I felt “Why serve GOD?”

 

Paul impressed on Timothy the importance of perseverance. He used himself as an example of how things could get in life, but to persevere  because of purpose. HE mentioned his appointed position as an apostle and teacher of the Good News. Because of this, he suffered, yet persevered.

 

My Observations

  • There is a part of following JESUS that I don’t like, but know I have to accept, namely suffering.
  • When I feel like giving up on GOD I am reminded that HE never, ever, ever gives up on me.
  • Having purpose within CHRIST makes me endure.

 

Perseverance is a necessary component of following JESUS. I mean, true belief in HIM leads to a fight directed by Satan. He wants to be GOD and wants you and me to want the same, so he turns up the heat of feeling stressed out, haggard and worn. After a while, I get so tired, that I murmur the words “I feel like giving up.” BUT GOD says otherwise.

 

HE sent HIS SPIRIT to live inside me to pick me up when I am down. HE protects me and keep me :safe” until the Day of our LORD. Humans redefine the word “safe” to fit his or her likes and wants versus understanding their relationship with GOD will never be severed. I am “full of confidence” that my life, in union with CHRIST is worth persevering.

 

Challenge

  • How many ways does the writer imply “keep going?”
  • Have you ever stopped trusting in GOD because you haven’t seen a situation get any better?
  • Be honest, is there a part of you the trusts human ingenuity more than prayer?
  • Will you place your hope and trust back in the LORD who works all life situations out in ways that are far beyond our understanding, yet keeps a solid relationship with you eternally?

 

Prayer

Dear LORD, please keep this reader through difficult times. Let him or her know your love and provide perseverance through difficult circumstances. Pour out YOUR blessings in ways unimaginable. amen

No comments:

Post a Comment