Tuesday, February 7, 2023

What About Me?

What about me?

1 Timothy 5: 11 But do not include younger widows in the list; because when their desires make them want to marry, they turn away from Christ, 12 and so become guilty of breaking their earlier promise to him. 13 They also learn to waste their time in going around from house to house; but even worse, they learn to be gossips and busybodies, talking of things they should not. 14 So I would prefer that the younger widows get married, have children, and take care of their homes, so as to give our enemies no chance of speaking evil of us. 15 For some widows have already turned away to follow Satan. 16 But if any Christian woman has widows in her family, she must take care of them and not put the burden on the church, so that it may take care of the widows who are all alone.

 

============

 

Feeling sorry for myself had become a ritual. I was in another bad situation and simply wanted someone to get me out of the current trial. Tired of being needy and tired of being in trouble, I groused instead of being excited.

 

  • I could only see my problem.
  • I needed help and did not know who to ask.
  • I felt that no one could understand the trial I was going through.

 

Paul continues giving advice to Timothy regarding widows. He referred to “the list” as a special list reserved for those who have cared for others as a lifelong pursuit. Paul speaks harshly about young widows who can leave their identity in CHRIST by substituting marriage as a pursuit of a new identity. He also points out a new goal, namely caring for others because the need is huge!

 

My Observations

  • Sometimes I can pity myself and desire things in substitute of GOD?
  • Focused attention on what GOD wants me to do, keeps me away from the traps of the enemy.
  • Realizing that I am chosen by GOD as part of the solution, takes my mind off my problems and places focus on what GOD wants.

 

Let’s face it, we have all asked “What about me?” Right? I mean, when life gets hard we want someone who can provide for us during the trial or lift us out of the hole. When this doesn’t happen, we feel GOD isn’t listening and easily stop following HIM to try something else. BUT GOD understands.

 

HE wants us to focus our attention on HIM by caring about other people. This trial is not about you rather it is about keeping you from seeing GOD as the solution. Care is a great remedy to the trial. GOD may have me simply care for those around me enough to pray for him or her and possibly even meet a need every now and then. I am glad GOD helps me take my focus off of “my” trials and place it on HIS love.

 

Challenge

  • Be honest, do the words of the writer sound harsh?
  • Why?
  • Have you ever pitied yourself and just wanted out of this trial, with or without GOD’s help?
  • Will you continue to walk with the LORD, asking HIM to firm up your reliance on HIM and to open your eyes to someone who is in need today?

No comments:

Post a Comment