Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Ignoring the Hook Up

Ignoring the Hook Up

1 Timothy 6 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves.

 

============

 

Being hired for the summer seemed more like dread than favor to me. A person I knew got me a job doing odd and end kind of stuff. From running errands to unloading trucks, I had to just simply do stuff. Another guy who had the same job said to me “Let’s play basketball.”  He then laid out the imaginary rules with a garbage can and a huge ball of paper as the elements. “Of course! “ I said.

 

  • I didn’t want to work there anyway!
  • I couldn’t find another job and I didn’t like this one.
  • I did not appreciate being handed a job by the believer who got me the job.

 

Ugh! Paul speaks to Timothy about slavery. This section was used by many to enforce cruelty and deep hatred towards other humans. Paul, however more than likely, was speaking about employer / employee relationships as the tone sounds voluntary. Employees may have worked harder for non-believers than believers. They may have not valued the favor.

 

My Observations

  • On every job, volunteer situation or favor, GOD wants me to work for HIM.
  • Each task I am given should be done at its fullest.
  • Extra respect should be given to a believer who does me a favor.

 

Valuing favor is sometimes hard. I mean, when I don’t value something given to me or when someone does me a favor by providing me with a job, business deal or being part of a group, I may underestimate the need and goof off. GOD wants better.

 

HE wants me to understand that HE is working through people to provide me with something I would have otherwise, been without. HE also wants me to recognize that when I do my work, I work for HIM, not the employer. I gladly give it my all when I serve others who bless me with being able to serve.

 

Challenge

  • What attitude is the writer trying to convey?
  • Have you ever had a job in which you just wanted to goof off?
  • Will you see your job or business or volunteer situation differently and serve equally as hard as if your life depended on it and know you are serving the LORD through your works?

No comments:

Post a Comment