Monday, February 27, 2023

No Longer Ashamed

No Longer Ashamed

2 Timothy 1: Do not be ashamed, then, of witnessing for our Lord; neither be ashamed of me, a prisoner for Christ's sake. Instead, take your part in suffering for the Good News, as God gives you the strength for it. He saved us and called us to be his own people, not because of what we have done, but because of his own purpose and grace. He gave us this grace by means of Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but now it has been revealed to us through the coming of our Savior, Christ Jesus. He has ended the power of death and through the gospel has revealed immortal life.

 

============

 

“Would you take over the inspirational message?” was the question asked by one of my peers at work. We worked at a very large, well-known company and I was on the rise. I had a title to protect and sending an inspirational message, like this one, would not fit. Or at least that’s what I thought.

 

  • I was ashamed to admit I followed JESUS.
  • I felt that most of my time should be spent with JESUS hidden and covertly implying HIM.
  • I thought speaking about JESUS would hurt my chances for advancement.

 

Paul addressed societal pressures Timothy may have faced. At that time, the church leaders had conspired against JESUS and killed HIM. They would never admit there was and is a risen Savior. They may have worked with business owners who would shut out those who mentioned the name of JESUS. Timothy needed “strength.”

 

My Observations

  • Societal pressures to harbor worry, fear and hatred can make me ashamed of JESUS, BUT HE is the only way to true strength.
  • My plans for “the next level” are laughable to GOD when I am ashamed of JESUS.
  • Any plan that does not include JESUS could be used for HIS good, but not for “my” good.

 

GOD’s word will never return void. I mean, if I mention what a preacher said or a Bible verse says, That message will bring glory to GOD. But if I do not believe in JESUS, or believe that I do not need to speak HIS name publicly, especially when I am uncomfortable, I may not benefit from speaking scripture or saying what someone said.

 

Being ashamed of JESUS can come in many forms. I may go to church and mention HIS name boldly on Sunday and never mention HIS name out loud  the rest of the week. No one I know would even know I had a relationship with JESUS, but they will know what I ate yesterday or what “fun” thing I did, or what group activity I participated in.

 

GOD does want a sincere witness that sometimes is quiet, but HE seems to also want us to be bold in living for HIM. I gladly speak for CHRIST now and I am more ashamed of being places where I cannot.

 

Challenge

  • What shame is the writer speaking about?
  • Have you ever felt that being bold for JESUS is unnecessary or even a problem?
  • Will you overcome any thoughts of hiding your relationship with JESUS because of your title, job or status and let GOD control your life so JESUS can be proclaimed boldly from your lips today?

No comments:

Post a Comment