Friday, February 17, 2023

Something to Strive For

 

Something to Strive For

1 Timothy 6: 11 But you, man of God, avoid all these things. Strive for righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 12 Run your best in the race of faith, and win eternal life for yourself; for it was to this life that God called you when you firmly professed your faith before many witnesses. 

 

============

 

Not fitting got old. I wanted to try what ”everyone else” was doing. I tried dating a lot, seeking the best grades, wealth and pleasure. All of these came up empty. I wanted to be noticed, so I made stuff up to look more exciting.  “Why can’t I be like ‘that’ person? I said with jealousy!.

 

  • I wanted to be someone else.
  • I got tired of being measured and coming up as average or worse.
  • I considered how people became successful and I wanted to do “anything” to do so, even if it meant being immoral.

 

Paul gives Timothy another word of encouragement. He provides Timothy with a list of great behaviors that model what JESUS stands for. He urges Timothy to keep going with his faith because he professed it publicly and people would expect him to follow GOD without wavering.

 

My Observations

  • I may not have it all together, but GOD gives me something to strive for.
  • I may not be perfect, BUT GOD shows me what I can try to become.
  • I may want to give up, or fall down, BUT GOD gives me a foundation to always come back to.

 

Sin stinks! I mean, because of my sin nature, I may think less of GOD and more of self. I may seek what I want, when I want it without regard to what GOD wants. BUT GOD understands.

 

HE picks me up and says “You can do this.” He showed me HIS righteousness, Godliness, faithfulness, love, everlasting endurance and premium gentleness. When I compare myself to HIM I think, “impossible.” BUT HE only says “strive” for it. Even when I get it wrong, HE is pleased because I am trying. I am glad GOD is pleased firmly with my attempts.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer stress striving for?
  • Have you ever wanted something and worked hard to get it?
  • Will you strive for a life that is pleasing to GOD by serving others and learning about HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment