Thursday, February 23, 2023

Promised Life

Promised Life

2 Timothy 1: From Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God's will, sent to proclaim the promised life which we have in union with Christ Jesus—

 

To Timothy, my dear son:

May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace.

 

============

 

After telling GOD that I would return to HIM and serve HIM, I figured everything would be easy from that point on. I was tired of creditors calling me and low paying jobs that the public saw as degrading. I figured, that maybe GOD could help me get a better life. Things did go better for a while, but people around me got sick, hurt or even died. “I thought things would be better!” I cried out.

 

  • I expected GOD to keep me from any and all harm.
  • I expected that GOD would turn me into a sinless robot millionaire, who smiled every day.
  • I expected that GOD would make everyone around me nicer than the nicest person we all knew and everyone would be healthy and without problems until JESUS came back.

 

Paul wrote another letter to Timothy. He begins the letter by explaining his calling to the LORD. Timothy knew this calling, so this letter was expected to be read by many others and to establish Timothy’s authority. Paul had been beaten, thrown out of synagogues and almost killed, yet he mentions “the promised life we have in union with CHRIST JESUS.’

 

My Observations

  • Difficulties make me choose if I will proclaim JESUS or get mad at HIM for not meeting “my” expectations.
  • Trials in life make me think that GOD isn’t listening to me or does not care.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT in me, removes all doubt and shows me that GOD cares for me deeply in spite of what seems to be going on.

 

False expectations of GOD makes me set HIM up for failure in my mind. I mean, expecting everything to be easy because I have a relationship with HIM was never said by HIM. In fact, JESUS said I would be persecuted because of my relationship with HIM.

 

Things would not be easy. Satan, the enemy, wants to rob, steal and kill anyone who professes JESUS as the Savior. This is a fight versus a vacation. GOD knows I will face hard and difficult times, but provides comfort. HE does promise that after this difficult life, there will be no more difficulties. No bait and switch, there will be no more tears or pain. I am gladly continue following GOD, even when it is tough.

 

Challenge

  • What promised life is the writer speaking of?
  • Have you ever been disappointed in this life?
  • What false expectations do you have of GOD?
  • Will you continue to seek GOD’s kingdom in spite of life’s difficulties today?

No comments:

Post a Comment