Monday, February 6, 2023

Harvest List

Harvest List

1 Timothy 5: Do not add any widow to the list of widows unless she is over sixty years of age. In addition, she must have been married only once ( or faithful to her husband. 10 and have a reputation for good deeds: a woman who brought up her children well, received strangers in her home, performed humble duties for other Christians, helped people in trouble, and devoted herself to doing good.

 

============

 

After working hard during my second year at the company, I felt pretty good this time. In the first year I received an “average” rating, though I felt I did more than average. I worked hard the next year and received a higher rating, but there were those who received the highest honor in the company. I got jealous.

 

  • I wanted to be recognized for my hard work.
  • I got jealous of those who were recognized at the highest levels.
  • I questioned, pouted and sneered at not getting the highest award.

 

Paul continues to provide advice to Timothy on how to care for widows. He tells Timothy to make a special list for those who have done service to the LORD practically all of her life. She would be obvious because she would have sown “good’ seeds into many lives and now it was her turn to reap a harvest.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to treat everyone with respect, but HE has a special list of those who serve HIM with all their heart.
  • There are some people who have served the LORD well and need to reap a wonderful harvest.
  • Service to the LORD is not a competition, rather it is done from the heart and will get its rewards from the LORD.

 

Taking care of those who have spent their lives taking care of others seems important to the LORD. I mean, there are some who seem to make service to the LORD so easy because it is natural and genuine. GOD sees their service and wants to pour out an abundance of thanks.

 

HE holds a special place in HIS heart for widows who have committed themselves to HIS service all their lives. No wavering, just service. These are not perfect people, rather faithful in all they do. I gladly honor those who have served the LORD faithfully.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer speaks bout “the list?”
  • Have you ever seen someone who has been a consistent servant to the LORD, year after year after year?
  • Will you recognize a widow or someone who comes to mind, who has dedicated their life to the LORD and has served HIM well so she or he may receive a harvest in this life and the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment