Thursday, February 16, 2023

Rich and Satisfied

Rich and Satisfied

1 Timothy 6: They think that religion is a way to become rich.

Well, religion does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have. What did we bring into the world? Nothing! What can we take out of the world? Nothing! So then, if we have food and clothes, that should be enough for us. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and are caught in the trap of many foolish and harmful desires, which pull them down to ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a source of all kinds of evil. Some have been so eager to have it that they have wandered away from the faith and have broken their hearts with many sorrows.

 

============

 

Lugging the latest camcorder and a suitcase full of items of convenience, I went on my first mission’s trip. I thought I had seen poor people before, but this place really opened my eyes. We went out into the rural area and ran into a family. When we stopped, the owner of the “hut” invited us over. He bragged that he had a cow, chickens and a lemon tree. He was satisfied and I was worried about my material things.

 

  • I wanted the latest things.
  • I wanted more and more comfort items.
  • I wanted to be satisfied, but never could find it.

 

Paul spoke harshly about false preachers whose purpose in life was to dream up other philosophies outside of JESUS to become rich. He then speaks to Timothy about the dangers of pursuing becoming rich. He explains “foolish and harmful desires” can and will pull them into ruin and destruction.

 

My Observations

  • Being content with what GOD has provided is more important than the next latest thing.
  • Being satisfied with what HE has done changes my attitude about what HE should be doing.
  • Being gratified is a position of thanksgiving GOD gets excited about when I supply it.

 

True wealth comes from knowing GOD and by belief in JESUS as the Savior. I mean, HE gives me all the warning signs to avoid and provides a path to contentment. Unfortunately, the world tries to pull me away from being content.

 

The need for more stuff, more clothes, more gadgets and more storage for the stuff makes me discontent. The insatiable appetite of wanting more then drives me to worry, work impossible hours and lie about “needing” the stuff for self-care. I am glad GOD opens my eyes to my lusts so HE can make me satisfied with what HE has given me..

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about loving money?
  • Have you ever worried about finances so much that you got mad at GOD?
  • What would happen if you had less than what you have now?
  • Will you be satisfied, content and gratified over what GOD has provided and praise HIM for HIS provisions today?

No comments:

Post a Comment