Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Spiritual Exercise

Spiritual Exercise

1 Timothy 4: If you give these instructions to the believers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, as you feed yourself spiritually on the words of faith and of the true teaching which you have followed. But keep away from those godless legends, which are not worth telling. Keep yourself in training for a godly life. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is valuable in every way, because it promises life both for the present and for the future. This is a true saying, to be completely accepted and believed. 10 We struggle and work hard, because we have placed our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all and especially of those who believe.

 

============

 

Tired of being a weakling, I joined a gym. I could barely lift any weight, so I stood around until I perceived people were not looking at me. “You need to work out with us” were the words I was surprised and horrified to hear. A group of powerlifters taught me the technique of lifting while introducing me to a regiment.

 

  • I was embarrassed, but had to start somewhere.
  • I was undisciplined and needed something to make me continue with a regiment.
  • I struggled and worked hard and eventually saw some results.

 

Paul gives Timothy a regiment to follow. He likened the regiment to that of physical exercise. He urged Timothy to feed his spirit regularly with faith and true teaching. He gave him a diet to stay away from certain unhealthy spiritual foods like “godless legends.” Then he give him the spiritual exercise routine, namely struggle and work hard.

 

My Observations

  • Spiritual exercise takes me through problem after problem after problem, until I can get strong enough to let GOD handle them.
  • Admitting I am weak in many areas gives me the prayers I can say to GOD to grow me.
  • My hope in GOD is strengthened after each trial is completed.

 

Spiritual workouts are difficult because I am not in control of the trials. BUT GOD has an answer. HE wants me to prepare for trials by feeding myself with HIS words of faith and truth. HE also wants me to focus on the present, knowing only HE can bring me through “this” trial or “that” one.

 

GOD wants me to grow up but this takes a regiment to keep my mind clear from things that would guide me away from HIS hope. HE allows trials to come into my life, not to break me, but to establish muscles of faith, truth and hope. I am glad GOD cares enough to grow me spiritually.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer compares spiritual exercise to physical exercise?
  • Have you ever done something that took a regiment of discipline and got some benefit out of it?
  • Will you get on a regiment  that will benefit you in this present life and eternally by focusing in on GOD’s word and looking at trials as exercise to help you grow in the LORD today?

No comments:

Post a Comment