Thursday, January 5, 2023

Getting Untired

 

Getting Untired

2 Thessalonians 3: Our friends, we command you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to keep away from all believers who are living a lazy life and who do not follow the instructions that we gave them. You yourselves know very well that you should do just what we did. We were not lazy when we were with you. We did not accept anyone's support without paying for it. Instead, we worked and toiled; we kept working day and night so as not to be an expense to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to demand our support; we did it to be an example for you to follow. 10 While we were with you, we used to tell you, “Whoever refuses to work is not allowed to eat.”

 

============

 

Tired from staying out all night, I laid in bed. When I woke up, I realized I was supposed to open the office. I quickly got dressed and went to the office, only to be met by people who demanded my keys and my resignation.

 

  • At first I wanted to blame those who gave me an early shift.
  • I tried to rationalize why I needed to hang out versus being in and ready to work.
  • I soon realized I was out of work and needed some income.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy provide some strong words regarding “believers who are living a lazy life.” The people they spoke of refused to work or use their talents in any way. They may have believed in JESUS as the Savior, but would not lift a finger to tell others, or help those who were willing.

 

My Observations

  • GOD cursed the earth after Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge, causing mankind to have to work harder to eat and be comfortable.
  • My view of “work” should not contain my identity, rather it is a function of eating and paying bills.
  • When I work unto the LORD, the “work” is more pleasing and satisfying, because I am not doing it for tyrants or lazy people.

 

“Work” is something I tried to get out of doing for years. I mean, I would goof off and figure out ways to not work. I would then seek out others who wanted to have “fun”, dragging them into my laziness. BUT GOD wanted me awake.

 

HE woke me up and wanted me to be “an example” to people. HE wants me to spread HIS message, but to do it without needing money to do so. HE provides, so I can say “JESUS is LORD and I praise HIM!” I gladly get up for a job or run a business to ensure HIS Gospel is spread.

 

Challenge

  • What do you think the “lazy life” is that the writers spoke about?
  • Have you ever felt like giving up, or dreaming of not working?
  • Will you seek GOD’s kingdom by spreading the Gospel and working to support yourself or others who will do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment