Thursday, April 6, 2023

Healthy Faith

Healthy Faith

Titus 1: 10 For there are many, especially the converts from Judaism, who rebel and deceive others with their nonsense. 11 It is necessary to stop their talk, because they are upsetting whole families by teaching what they should not, and all for the shameful purpose of making money. 12-13 It was a Cretan himself, one of their own prophets, who spoke the truth when he said, “Cretans are always liars, wicked beasts, and lazy gluttons.” For this reason you must rebuke them sharply, so that they may have a healthy faith 14 and no longer hold on to Jewish legends and to human commandments which come from people who have rejected the truth. 

 

============

 

“Wear a suit because you want to give GOD your best” was a statement told to me so I wore suits to church. But when I went into the neighborhood to invite people to come to church, a person said “I don’t have anything to wear” meaning I can’t dress up like that.

 

  • This made me question what rules I was following that were barriers to CHRIST.
  • This made me examine the manmade rules for church versus following what GOD says.
  • This made me wonder what other lies have I been following that are mixed in with the truth.

 

Paul warns Titus about those who were converting from traditional Judaism to following CHRIST. This was a tumultuous time when followers of JESUS were getting thrown out of communities and, even worse, killed for their belief. Unfortunately there were some who saw an opportunity to make up their own groups to bilk people out of money.

 

My Observations

  • JESUS died and was raised from the dead and is now alive reigning over everything.
  • My belief in JESUS gives me eternal life and abundant life in the present.
  • Following JESUS means loving people versus following rules.

 

“Love one another” was the greatest command given by JESUS. This command broke rules, traditions and reasons to keep people out of the club. This command makes me examine myself versus blaming someone else for what he or she is doing or not doing.

 

Love sets me free from having to follow the rules and gives me thankfulness for being set free from my well-deserved eternal death. I am glad there is a path to healthy faith and that is through JESUS, who sends the HOLY SPIRIT as my guide.

 

Challenge

  • What is the warning of the writer?
  • What rules are you following or have made for yourself that do not come from GOD?
  • Will you examine yourself to see why you sometimes feel far from GOD and determine if you are being too hard on yourself and others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment