Tuesday, April 11, 2023

No Comparison

No Comparison

Titus 2: In all things you yourself must be an example of good behavior. Be sincere and serious in your teaching. Use sound words that cannot be criticized, so that your enemies may be put to shame by not having anything bad to say about us.

 

============

 

“But so and so did the same thing” was my argument in several instances. I tried to compare my actions with those of another person, usually when something was going wrong or when I did something “bad.” I was met with a startling response. “But we expect more out of you.”

 

  • I was comparing myself to other people to justify my actions.
  • I was not taking responsibility for issues I was causing.
  • I wanted accolades by comparison, but not consequence.

 

Paul had just told Titus to guide older men and women and younger men to “live a holy life” by following sound doctrine. Then Paul turns directly to Titus by urging him to be accountable for his actions. Whether other people followed the advice of living a life for GOD, be responsible for your own actions.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to live a life that is pleasing to HIM.
  • GOD wants me responsible for my actions versus passively trying to control others.
  • GOD wants me to admit I am a sinner and I need a Savior.

 

Being accountable for my own sins is eye opening. I mean, it is easier to compare “my” good deeds to someone else who may not be doing what “I” am. Unfortunately, GOD detests when I compare myself to someone else. JESUS used a comparison parable when two people went to pray and one compared himself to another saying “I thank you, God, that I am not greedy, dishonest, or an adulterer, like everybody else. I thank you that I am not like that tax collector over there..”

 

The tax collector prayed “God, have mercy on me, a sinner” and JESUS then said the tax collector was justified versus the Pharisee. Comparison seems to enable a short memory for the sins and wrongs of the person. GOD wants me to have a memory that I am forgiven so I can carry grace. I am glad GOD forgives.

 

Challenge

  • Was the writer being harsh in the advice given?
  • Have you ever been in a situation where other people were misbehaving and you had a choice to not join in?
  • What did you do?
  • Will you be GOD’s example even when it is extremely hard to do so and keep away from comparing your life to other people?

No comments:

Post a Comment