Friday, April 21, 2023

Fruit Bearing Love

Fruit Bearing Love

Philemon 1: Brother Philemon, every time I pray, I mention you and give thanks to my God. For I hear of your love for all of God's people and the faith you have in the Lord Jesus. My prayer is that our fellowship with you as believers will bring about a deeper understanding of every blessing which we have in our life in union with Christ. Your love, dear brother, has brought me great joy and much encouragement! You have cheered the hearts of all of God's people.

 

============

 

Waking up with a horrified feeling, I remembered it was Valentines Day. The teacher told us to bring Valentines cards to pass out to the class. I did not have money or a means to get to the store if I did have any. I had a great idea that I would make the Valentines, but I forgot.

 

  • I felt I did not live up to the standard.
  • I felt I embarrassed.
  • I did not know this was not the definition of love GOD desired, so I felt rotten.

 

Paul spoke highly of Philemon. He pointed out Philemon’s love and faith as being a great example. The basis of Philemon’s love was his faith in JESUS. His heart must have been overflowing, because he “cheered the hearts of all GOD’s people.”

 

My Observations

  • The world may have a definition of what love looks like, BUT GOD has a different criteria.
  • I should have room in my heart for people who love me and for those who are against me.
  • GOD’s love bears fruit for HIM that cannot be denied, even by those who have fallen into a trap of defining a different love.

 

Redefining love has gotten me into trouble. I mean, when I thought love was catering to every worldly desire a person could dream up, I found myself never quite measuring up. BUT GOD had a remedy.

 

JESUS showed me the ultimate example of love for mankind. HE never fell for Satan’s tactics to draw HIM away from showing love to HIS creation. HE was gentle when other people slandered HIS name and surrounded HIM with lies, ultimately crucifying HIM because of their insecurities. I am so glad JESUS quietly took all of my punishment and gave me an example of true love to strive for.

 

Challenge

  • What “love” is the writer speaking about?
  • Have you ever felt bad because you did not give or receive love the way the world has defined it?
  • Will you renew your mind on what love looks like and ask GOD for HIS type of love that bears fruit for HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment