Monday, April 24, 2023

Useful Thinking

Useful Thinking

Philemon 1: For this reason I could be bold enough, as your brother in Christ, to order you to do what should be done. But because I love you, I make a request instead. I do this even though I am Paul, the ambassador of Christ Jesus, and at present also a prisoner for his sake. 10 So I make a request to you on behalf of Onesimus, who is my own son in Christ; for while in prison I have become his spiritual father. 11 At one time he was of no use to you, but now he is useful both to you and to me.

 

============

 

Listening to the suggestions from the crowd, I began thinking of ways to get out of class and work. I wanted to play cards and hang out I got nervous when I was almost fired, so I straightened up temporarily.

 

  • I hated my job, even though it paid the bills.
  • I was constantly looking for ways to goof off or leave.
  • I never thought of ways to improve the situation or to add value.

 

Paul humbly makes a request of Philemon on behalf of Onesimus. He describes Onesimus as being useful, but acknowledges that at one point in time he was not useful. Something change with Onesimus and he began serving Paul, the prisoner.

 

My Observations

  • There are times when I want to complain, but this is useless to serving.
  • There are times when I want to serve myself, but this is useless to drawing other people to GOD.
  • There are times when I think only of myself and this type of thinking is useless  to helping other people.

 

Selfishness is blinding. I mean, the more I think of myself, I make excuses for not serving other people. In fact, I may even blame him or her for not serving me in the way “I” think I ought to be served. This type of thinking is useless to bringing people to GOD. Fortunately HE is so, so, so forgiving.

 

HE shows me my selfishness and opens my eyes to a plentiful harvest that HE wants to draw back to HIMSELF. HE show me the hurt and the lost and wants me to seek them and bring them to HIM. There are plenty to bring to HIM, but my eyes have to be opened. I am glad GOD includes me in HIS plan and forgives me when I think only of myself.

 

Challenge

  • What tone is the writer taking?
  • Have you ever felt sorry for yourself and felt you deserved more?
  • Will you change your mindset and ask GOD “What do YOU want me to do for YOUR kingdom today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment