Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Special Emphasis

Special Emphasis

Titus 3: I want you to give special emphasis to these matters, so that those who believe in God may be concerned with giving their time to doing good deeds, which are good and useful for everyone. But avoid stupid arguments, long lists of ancestors, quarrels, and fights about the Law. They are useless and worthless. 10 Give at least two warnings to those who cause divisions, and then have nothing more to do with them. 11 You know that such people are corrupt, and their sins prove that they are wrong.

 

============

 

Doing research, I took time collecting facts to counter what someone said. It took a number of hours, but I collected “my” facts and was ready for the argument. I felt it was the right thing to do and I was ready for any “battle.”

 

  • I was prepared to fight.
  • I was looking to “win” the argument.
  • I wanted to be declared the winner by my opponent.

 

Paul explains to Titus that arguing is “stupid.” He lists arguments, quarrels and fights as something to avoid. He labels this as a waste of time by saying “They are useless and worthless.” He does give the right thing to emphasize, namely doing good deeds.

 

My Observations

  • Arguing over GOD’s word seems useless.
  • Winning quarrels versus doing good seems worthless.
  • Fighting over what is right is worthless and I should emphasize what is good and useful for everyone.

 

Arguing, quarreling and fighting takes precious time. I mean, when I fight, I lay awake thinking of my next move and the countermove from his or her next move. This time could have been spent doing something good for someone.

 

GOD has a plan that includes finding those who have been blinded from HIS love. HE wants all to return to HIM by leaving their selfish, combative ways. HE wants me to focus on doing what is right and leave useless, worthless arguments alone. I am glad GOD gives me the right path, namely to serve those HE wants me to serve.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer give these warnings?
  • Have you ever wasted your time trying to convince someone about something versus simply living the example?
  • Will you focus your time on doing good for others so you will be pleasing to GOD and remain on HIS path, seeking HIS kingdom today?

No comments:

Post a Comment