Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Your Own Free Will

 

Your Own Free Will

Philemon 1: 12 I am sending him back to you now, and with him goes my heart. 13 I would like to keep him here with me, while I am in prison for the gospel's sake, so that he could help me in your place. 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.

 

============

 

Being chosen early for the game on the playground seemed strange to me. I had nothing to offer the team. I had no athletic prowess, broken glasses and a tiny stature. I was not one of the “leftovers” who would not get a chance to play but remained on the team in name only. When I scored, I felt like I could do this more often.

 

  • I had nothing to offer, yet I was chosen.
  • Even though I was chosen, I did not have to play.
  • When I chose to play, I let go of my fears and participated better than I thought.

 

Paul appeals to Philemon on behalf of Onesimus. He had just acknowledged that Onesimus was now “useful” and Paul continues to say how much of a blessing he was. Paul asks Philemon to accept Onesimus from his own free will.

 

My Observations

  • Sometimes I think GOD is too harsh because HE has rules and can’t stand sin.
  • GOD, on the other hand, is extremely forgiving of me and wants a relationship with me.
  • Free will to choose GOD or choose my selfish justifying ways has been given to me so I can experience true love.

 

GOD made it so easy to follow HIM that it is hard to follow HIM. I mean, HE chose me before I was born, but gave me a choice to participate with HIM or not. It is my choice to believe in JESUS and to live for HIM or not.

 

HE put me on HIS team before I was born, but I still have a choice to live for HIM daily. When I choose to live for myself, I bear no fruit for HIM. Conversely, when I choose to live for HIM, I experience love beyond measure. I am glad GOD does not obligate me to serve HIM but wants me to come to HIM with my own free will.

 

Challenge

  • What is the heart posture of the writer?
  • Have you ever wanted to be chosen for who you are?
  • Will you strengthen your relationship with GOD by choosing HIM versus feeling obligated, so you can have a healthy connection with HIM today?

 

Prayer

Dear LORD, please bless this reader to have a healthy relationship with YOU today. Let him or her know YOUR love / yoke is easy and YOUR burden is light. Please show YOUR love to those who choose YOU. amen

No comments:

Post a Comment