Wednesday, April 5, 2023

No Hidden Agenda

No Hidden Agenda

Titus 1: For since a church leader is in charge of God's work, he should be without fault. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered, or a drunkard or violent or greedy for money. He must be hospitable and love what is good. He must be self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the message which can be trusted and which agrees with the doctrine. In this way he will be able to encourage others with the true teaching and also to show the error of those who are opposed to it.

 

============

 

Wanting to be in power, I complained about the current leadership. I spoke about how badly things were being run with another person. Soon the grousing turned into a few people. I would then slip in a few of “my” solutions to show how things would be better if “I” were in charge.

 

  • I wanted power.
  • I did not think slander was a problem as long as I was doing it.
  • I complained, thinking I knew better.

 

Let me say that many men have misused the bible to hold down women. This passage had cultural influences of males being the primary spokespeople in a church structure. Gender bias was not Paul’s battle so he went with the structure of that day. The suggestions he gives to Titus cross genders and apply to all. “Be” genuine when it comes to speaking about JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to “be hospitable.”
  • GOD wants me to “be self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.”
  • GOD wants me to “be trusted and agree with the doctrine” so I can encourage others and correct few.

 

When I have a hidden agenda of being in power, I act differently. I mean I complain about him or her versus praising GOD for what HE Is doing. To “be” in charge of anything, GOD wants to know I can “be” trusted with HIS love for others. This will show in how I treat people.

 

HE wants men and women who are willing to “be” aware of themselves and have the discipline to leave selfishness behind to serve others. I am glad GOD accepts me and you in spite of our sinful nature.

 

Challenge

  • What characteristics from the writer sticks out to you?
  • Are there some areas in your life that you need GOD to grow you?
  • Will you seek growth by GOD by asking for help in areas HE needs to grow you so you can serve HIS Kingdom today?

No comments:

Post a Comment