Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Something to look forward to

Something to look forward to

Hebrews 12: Endure what you suffer as being a father's punishment; your suffering shows that God is treating you as his children. Was there ever a child who was not punished by his father? If you are not punished, as all his children are, it means you are not real children, but bastards. In the case of our human fathers, they punished us and we respected them. How much more, then, should we submit to our spiritual Father and live! 10 Our human fathers punished us for a short time, as it seemed right to them; but God does it for our own good, so that we may share his holiness. 11 When we are punished, it seems to us at the time something to make us sad, not glad. Later, however, those who have been disciplined by such punishment reap the peaceful reward of a righteous life.

 

============

 

Ugh! “Punishment!? Really LORD?” was my first reaction when I read this. I cringed to think of GOD’s punishment. Who can withstand it? But as I read a little more I noticed what it was for.

 

  • GOD could crush me, BUT HE chooses to lightly correct me when HE wants me to do something for HIM.
  • GOD could make me suffer or allow pain in my life, BUT HE guides me back to HIM when I go astray.
  • GOD could leave me forever, BUT HE chose to live with me and walk with me forever.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, continues to discuss punishment. Someone may have asked “Why does GOD allow difficulties?’ and he wanted to provide an answer. Or perhaps people felt discouraged and needed an answer. He gives one word, “Endure.”

 

My Observations:

  • GOD loves me too much to let me sin without boundaries.
  • GOD wants me to be successful rather than forgiven without change.
  • GOD wants me to do some big things so HE corrects me to not besmudge HIS name.

 

When HE wants to do something big in your life, HE cannot couple HIMSELF to something that would allow others to ignore HIS SON. I mean, HE will correct those who HE invites into HIS family so they too can see what grace is really about.

 

Allowing us to do anything is not grace, rather gentle correction to guide us to HIS reward is true grace. I am glad GOD corrects me and guides me back to HIS way so HE can use me and provide peace.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer talk about GOD’s punishment?
  • When you hear punishment, what do you think of?
  • Will you look to be corrected and allow GOD to guide you back to HIS path of peace today?

No comments:

Post a Comment