Thursday, August 31, 2023

At Least Try

At Least Try

Hebrews 12: 14 Try to be at peace with everyone, and try to live a holy life, because no one will see the Lord without it. 15 Guard against turning back from the grace of God. Let no one become like a bitter plant that grows up and causes many troubles with its poison. 16 Let no one become immoral or unspiritual like Esau, who for a single meal sold his rights as the older son. 17 Afterward, you know, he wanted to receive his father's blessing; but he was turned back, because he could not find any way to change what he had done, even though in tears he looked for it.

 

============

 

Sitting in my apartment, I wondered if anything would go my way. I recalled my past gaffs and I didn’t see how my future could get any better. I went to the mailbox and picked up the bills that left me broke as usual. I wasn’t dating and I did not know many people in the town I lived in. “Sigh” I said.

 

  • I felt like giving up.
  • I felt like nothing would change.
  • I wondered if I should return to GOD because at that time I thought I had left HIM.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, continues to give sage advice. “Try” was his challenge to those who may have felt like giving up. He knew many people would run into those who like to fight and quarrel. He also knew firsthand, the effects of causing strife in other people’s lives because he was once on a religious quest to murder those who “he” thought were not following GOD.

 

My Observations:

  • Sometimes GOD does not seem like the right answer to me, but when I have tried HIM, HE has never disappointed me.
  • Prayer sometimes seems like a pitiful action, BUT GOD loves when I turn to HIM.
  • Letting go of some of the world’s ways seems like I would become strange, BUT GOD wants me to not “turn back” to things that are harmful to me or other people.

 

Following GOD can seem hard sometimes. I mean, what about people who are mean and nasty and hateful towards me? Am I supposed to just get beat up passively or physically? No! BUT GOD wants me to refrain from initiating fights, or living immorally or ignoring how much the HOLY SPIRIT really does for me every day.

 

GOD doesn’t make the relationship with HIM difficult, I do. I want HIM to act a certain way, meanwhile HE nudges me to act the way HE wants me to. HE guides me away from harmful things and leads me to a place of blessing. I am glad GOD doe not give me my way all the time and guide me to HIS way.

 

Challenge

  • How does the writer imply “surrendering” things in your life to have a solid relationship with the LORD?
  • Are there areas of your life that seem overwhelming and you are trying to use the world’s tactics to solve them?
  • Will you try to be at peace with those who fight you and try to turn away from habits that may not be good for you and try to let go of bitterness that poisons you and others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment