Friday, August 25, 2023

As For Us

As For Us

Hebrews 12: As for us, we have this large crowd of witnesses around us. So then, let us rid ourselves of everything that gets in the way, and of the sin which holds on to us so tightly, and let us run with determination the race that lies before us. Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end. He did not give up because of the cross! On the contrary, because of the joy that was waiting for him, he thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross, and he is now seated at the right side of God's throne.

 

============

 

Joining a gym, I wanted to gain some muscle. I struggled by myself as I guessed at what I should do. After a while, someone at the gym asked me if I would like to join them in their routine. They started me off with embarrassingly light weight and gradually added heavier weight. When I came in with a candy bar, they said “We don’t eat those anymore.” They suggested food that would help me build muscle.

 

  • I was part of a group.
  • I chose to cut out some things that were not “good” for me.
  • I saw results when I stuck with their suggestions.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, pauses to give a word of motivation. He had just provided a list of examples where faith was shown in different forms. He then turned to the present to provide actions associated with faith.

 

My Observations:

  • Faith in what JESUS did, helps me to turn away from things that HE died for.
  • Understanding that some things may not be good for me, makes me seek what is pleasing to the LORD.
  • Fortitude is given to me when I mimic the determination JESUS had for dying just for me.

 

“As for us” is a statement of being in a new family. I mean, my old family included “friends” who had me doing things that were not good for them or me. In fact, when I nervously joined in, I noticed the “fun” did not solve any problem I was going through, rather it magnified them. I needed a real solution.

 

GOD answered my prayer and provided me with a path to see life clearer. HE guided me away from certain things and gave me something more important to focus on, namely JESUS. I am glad GOD cares enough to guide me back to HIM.

 

Challenge

  • Who is the “us” the writer mentions?
  • Have you ever been part of a group that had your best interest in mind?
  • Will you accept being part of GOD’s family and examine your life to see if there are things you say or do that could hold you back from experiencing a great relationship with JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment