Monday, August 28, 2023

Expected to be Corrected

Expected to be Corrected

Hebrews 12:Think of what he went through; how he put up with so much hatred from sinners! So do not let yourselves become discouraged and give up. For in your struggle against sin you have not yet had to resist to the point of being killed. Have you forgotten the encouraging words which God speaks to you as his children?

 

“My child, pay attention when the Lord corrects you,
    and do not be discouraged when he rebukes you.
Because the Lord corrects everyone he loves,

    and punishes everyone he accepts as a child.”

 

============

 

Hearing “No” as the final answer, I dreamed of ways to sneak out of the house. “Maybe I can leave out the back door while everyone was sleeping.” I thought to myself. But for some reason. Everyone stayed awake this particular night. My plans failed. Next I actually got the car and drove all over the city. The radiator leaked and I spent all my time and money repairing the car. “I can’t catch a break!”

 

  • I was trying to be sneaky and my plans failed.
  • I was trying to do something I was told not to do, yet I did it anyway.
  • I was trying to get my way but “something” kept me from doing wrong.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, talks about a difficult subject, namely sin. He addresses the “struggle” all humans face. He reminds everyone that GOD will correct HIS children through punishment that is meant to be a guide back to the right path.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD knows there is a part of me that does not like HIS way, BUT HE gently corrects me to follow HIM.
  • GOD sees when I do not want to be like HIM or follow HIM, AND HE corrects me when I rebel against HIM.
  • GOD says to me “You are now in MY family so some of the things you do act against what I am trying to do.”

 

I can tell that GOD is speaking to me when I hear something I am supposed to do that would benefit HIS kingdom, yet I do not want to do it. I mean, when “that” person makes me mad and GOD says “reconcile even though it’s not your fault” I don’t want to do it. When I get punished for not reconciling, I question GOD.

 

HE then replies, “Because you are MINE and I expect you to act like you are in MY family.” GOD does not sin, is full of grace and tries to reach all people, not matter how horrible he or she is. GOD wants me to be filled with grace and sometimes HE uses mild punishment that does not kill me, to correct me. I reluctantly welcome GOD’s correction and I am glad when I get back on HIS path.

 

Challenge

  • What children is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever been corrected and been thankful for HIS correction?
  • Will you accept GOD’s correction with encouragement, knowing HE loves you and wants you to grow in HIS truth and grace today?

No comments:

Post a Comment