Friday, September 1, 2023

Presence

Presence

Hebrews 12: 18 You have not come, as the people of Israel came, to what you can feel, to Mount Sinai with its blazing fire, the darkness and the gloom, the storm, 19 the blast of a trumpet, and the sound of a voice. When the people heard the voice, they begged not to hear another word, 20 because they could not bear the order which said, “If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned to death.” 21 The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, “I am trembling and afraid!”

 

============

 

Music blared with a fast pace. Suddenly fireworks sizzled on stage. Then the speaker came out and delivered a riveting speech. “Wow!” I said to myself. At that point, I wanted to be like the speaker and started thinking of ways to mimic the style.

 

  • I was impressed by the speaker’s presence.
  • I was enamored by the fanfare.
  • I got caught up in the show.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, attempted to explain the reaction of the Israelites when they were at mount Sinai.. They experienced the presence of GOD and were terrified! HIS holiness would not allow even a stray animal to touch the mountain.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD’s presences is awesome and terrifying.
  • GOD is absolutely holy and cannot have sin in HIS presence.
  • JESUS washed away all my sins, which allows me into GOD’s presence.

 

Being centuries removed from the encounter Moses had with GOD makes me take it lightly. I mean, GOD terrified those who saw what HE did to the mountain, yet I am not terrified to take HIM to my sinful places. HE placed the HOLY SPIRIT, who also cannot stand sin, inside me.

 

GOD sees all, hears all and knows all I do. I should be terrified!. Fortunately for me, GOD understands and provides sufficient grace. HE withholds HIS wrath and provides for me every day. I am so glad GOD’s presence with me is gentle and forgiving, but I will someday see HIS true glory which is unimaginable.

 

Challenge

  • What part of the writer’s illustration sticks out to you?
  • Have you ever been impressed by someone with “presence?”
  • Will you reflect on the power of GOD and imagine HIS presence, and make changes to how you approach today?

No comments:

Post a Comment