Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Followers and Leaders

Followers and Leaders

Hebrews 13: 17 Obey your leaders and follow their orders. They watch over your souls without resting, since they must give to God an account of their service. If you obey them, they will do their work gladly; if not, they will do it with sadness, and that would be of no help to you.

 

============

 

Complaining about the leadership was a common practice with “us.” I joined in on the side conversations about him or her. I could see flaws in their leadership styles a mile away. But then, one day I was made a leader. “Why won’t they do what I say?” was my naïve question.

 

  • I thought leadership was easy.
  • I thought I had the right to sit back and complain.
  • I never considered that perhaps I needed to change my following style.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, appealed to those who were not in leadership roles. He urged them to follow their leadership without fighting. He also provides insight into leadership. Leaders will be held accountable by GOD, which can hold a higher reward or consequence.

 

My Observations:

  • When I am in a follower role, GOD wants me to set the leader up for success.
  • When I am in a leadership role, GOD wants me to “watch over the followers souls without resting.”
  • GOD will hold followers and leaders accountable.

 

Bad leaders are common, but is there such a thing as a bad follower? I mean, when I am supposed to do something a certain way and I choose to ignore the leader and do it “my” way, am I being a bad follower? Possibly. Hard to say. I may have to assess why I need to have it “my” way and determine if I could possibly be contributing to the problem with his or her leadership style.

 

Awareness of how I serve others and follow leaders is quite humbling. I have served under belligerent, egotistical, arrogant people who demand so much that people were broken. I have also served  those who set up their followers for success, yet their followers still do not perform. I am glad GOD gives me a chance to humble myself in either a follower or leadership role.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer appeal to followers?
  • Have you ever been in a leadership role and had a group of followers who made it difficult?
  • Have you ever helped a leader succeed?
  • Will you bow down to the MOST HIGH GOD and humble yourself in any role you have today?

No comments:

Post a Comment