Monday, September 4, 2023

Placed on a Better Mountain

Placed on a Better Mountain

Hebrews 12: 22 Instead, you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, with its thousands of angels. 23 You have come to the joyful gathering of God's first-born, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, who is the judge of all people, and to the spirits of good people made perfect. 24 You have come to Jesus, who arranged the new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that promises much better things than does the blood of Abel.

 

============

 

“Wow! This is so much better” I said to myself. For a long, long time, I fretted over a high paying job that gave me a title. When I no longer had that position, I felt bad about “myself” because I placed all my identity in the level “I” achieved. But when I let go of titles and salary, I found something I had lost years back… “me.!”

 

  • I thought the old way was the best way.
  • I could not see anything better because I was stuck
  • I found myself and then I could see who GOD wanted me to be.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, switched over to a different mountain, namely Mount Zion. While the reader could get caught up looking at mountains, the writer emphasizes a new covenant where people are made perfect. This is a “better” mountain.

 

My Observations:

  • I can try to manipulate GOD by following the law, BUT GOD responds to when I surrender my life to JESUS.
  • I can feel bad about when I broke GOD’s Law by sinning, BUT GOD wants me to know I am forgiven because of the death, burial and resurrection of JESUS.
  • I can be scared of GOD and frightened over HIS punishment, BUT JESUS was raised from the dead and sent the HOLY SPIRIT to comfort me in times of trouble.

 

I don’t know a better place until I see it. I mean, I may be in a bad place, thinking I have to stay there. Abuse, and misuse are accepted as I think I am doing the right thing by staying in the fire of achievement towards fame and fortune. BUT GOD wants me to have a better life.

 

When I identify with HIM, I become a new person. My new identity is far better than any title or wealth status I think I have reached. GOD gets excited when I point people to HIS SON. HE then tells me “Well done” and places me on HIS mountain, above the problem-filled world. I am glad GOD raises me up to do HIS good and perfect will.

 

Challenge

  • What encouragement does the writer provide?
  • Have you ever gotten stuck on “the rules” and notice your life is still falling apart?
  • Will you seek the grace of JESUS and ask GOD to open your eyes to what HE is doing versus what you think you and others have to do, so you can accept how much HE loves you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment