Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Hope Kept


John 5: After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had. Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”

============

When the news of a friend getting a job reached me, I reacted unexpectedly. I was supposed to be excited and celebratory but instead I was upset and angry. “What about me?” I questioned GOD. With bills piling up and no income for years I wondered if my prayers were even being heard.

  • When problems go for a long time, I feel like giving up.
  • When issues stay around longer than expected, I feel like I am being blamed for something.
  • When obstacles seem to get higher and higher, I feel like I cannot even lift a finger.


Unintended consequences occurred when an angel stirred up the Bethesda pool. First one in wins great health. I can only imagine how selfish I would have been if I were sick. I mean I would have given up living life to wait on the pool to magically stir and then I would be ready to jump in at any given time. BUT JESUS did not want that kind of dependence.

  • GOD wants me to understand HE knows what I am going through.
  • GOD wants me to know HE can heal my situation at any time.
  • GOD wants me to place my hope in HIM and live life instead of waiting on “this” situation to be fixed.


“Do you want to be made well?” seems like an obvious question, especially from GOD, who knows everything anyway. This question made me think. “What is HE asking?” GOD seems to be questioning the desire versus the method.

People will do anything and spend any amount of money to be made “well” and I am no exception. GOD wants me well, but HIS method is to heal me spiritually first. When my spiritual eyes are opened, I can see HE has already healed me of any circumstance but this may not be seen through worldly eyes. GOD is where I place my hope, not on what I can see.

  • Do you want to be made well?
  • Where are you placing your hope?
  • Can you trust the process that GOD has you in and know HIS reason for keeping you in this place is to reward you and not hurt you?


No comments:

Post a Comment