Tuesday, December 1, 2020

What’s Important

 

What’s Important

Acts 27: 13 When a gentle south wind began to blow, they saw their opportunity; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete. 14 Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the Northeaster, swept down from the island. 15 The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along. 16 As we passed to the lee of a small island called Cauda, we were hardly able to make the lifeboat secure, 17 so the men hoisted it aboard. Then they passed ropes under the ship itself to hold it together. Because they were afraid they would run aground on the sandbars of Syrtis, they lowered the sea anchor and let the ship be driven along. 18 We took such a violent battering from the storm that the next day they began to throw the cargo overboard. 19 On the third day, they threw the ship’s tackle overboard with their own hands. 20 When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved.

 

============

 

When the thug put the gun down, I was scared and relieved. He walked away laughing as it was not really a gun, but a cigarette lighter shaped like a gun. Still, I thought “What if I got shot?” “What if I got killed?” “What if this was my last day?”

 

  • There have been times when I did not see what was important.
  • There have been times when I carried useless anger, hatred and worries around.
  • There have been times when I thought I was going to die, so nothing else was important other than survival.

 

Luke continues to document the treacherous trip. A hurricane tossed the ship around with ease. The experts tried everything within their knowledge to keep the ship and the cargo together to no avail.

 

They soon realized the cargo was not important as their lives so they threw it overboard. This was not enough. They had to tear down parts of the ship that made them money, namely the cranes to load the ship.

 

  • GOD allows storms in my life to grow me.
  • GOD allows storms in my life to force me to throw away unimportant things.
  • GOD allows storms in my life to show me where I really place my hope, but gives me a way to see I need HIM.

 

When life is really easy and I have plenty, it seems like I don’t cry out to GOD for help as much. I mean, I may mumble “Thank you” in a prayer here and there. But I also mumble “forgive me” as I fall into the sins of wealth.

 

GOD allowed storms in my life that seemed to last for years. Day after day, the worries of life would beat on me. I felt like giving up. BUT GOD showed me where to place my hope. The HOLY SPIRIT said “In the middle of the storm, praise GOD.” I did this and the storm felt less scary. I am thankful GOD is there with me in the storm.

 

  • Are you going through a long period where things are going wrong?
  • Do you feel like giving up?
  • Will you place your hope in JESUS, because HE is there with you, feeling your pain and knowing how HE will deliver you if you place your trust in HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment