Friday, July 15, 2022

New Identity

 

New Identity

Philippians 3 I could, of course, put my trust in such things. If any of you think you can trust in external ceremonies, I have even more reason to feel that way. I was circumcised when I was a week old. I am an Israelite by birth, of the tribe of Benjamin, a pure-blooded Hebrew. As far as keeping the Jewish Law is concerned, I was a Pharisee, and I was so zealous that I persecuted the church. As far as a person can be righteous by obeying the commands of the Law, I was without fault. But all those things that I might count as profit I now reckon as loss for Christ's sake. 

 

============

 

Being ridiculed, I did not want to be seen or known. But after being recognized for positive achievements, I craved more accolades. The more “I” achieved, the higher “I” went. Soon my entire identity was wrapped in ”my” title.

 

  • My thoughts were only on my title.
  • My plans centered around my title.
  • My conversations, lack of sleep, decisions and time were based on my title.

 

Paul sounded harsh on those who pushed the need to be circumcised as an implied closeness to GOD. This male oriented action was debunked by Paul as he admitted his own faults. He was extremely zealous for following the scripture but lacked its true meaning, namely CHRIST.

 

My Observations

  • When GOD made me, HE said “Very good.”
  • My identity is made whole by pointing all lives to CHRIST.
  • Only CHRIST deserves the attention and my achievements mean nothing.

 

Having a title or lineage or popularity is not bad unless I place it over what GOD wants for me. I mean, GOD gives me free will to choose HIM or “me.” When I choose “me” I get the spotlight, the accolades and “my” name is mentioned more than HIS.

 

Fortunately GOD understands this and HE gently guides me back to a place of true peace. HE opens my eyes to the need for CHRIST to have the honor of the spotlight. My achievements, accomplishments and accolades mean nothing in comparison to JESUS. I look at the immense time I have wasted as loss and I am grateful GOD hs given me a chance to speak about HIM now.

 

Challenge

  • Can you sense regret from the writer?
  • Have you ever wanted the attention, maybe even in a passive way?
  • What do you cry out to GOD for?
  • Will you seek a new identity by placing JESUS over every aspiration in your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment