Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Motive. Attitude. Desire.

 

Motive. Attitude. Desire.

Philippians 3: 15 All of us who are spiritually mature should have this same attitude. But if some of you have a different attitude, God will make this clear to you. 16 However that may be, let us go forward according to the same rules we have followed until now.

 

============

 

Talking loudly to a friend as we approached the sanctuary, we were met with an usher who had her finger over the lips. “Hush!” was her curt statement. My friend dared to challenge. “Why?” he asked. “Because we are praying.

 

  • I was puzzled and wondered why I had to be quiet.
  • I got a little offended that “I” was called out for doing something innocent like talking.
  • I got busy thinking of ways she could have told us better than she did versus understanding my part.

 

Paul continues explaining that everyone should have CHRIST as the goal. He knew, however, there would be some who would come to gatherings with a different motive. This different “attitude” could not always be cleared up by humans, rather it needed GOD.

 

My Observations

  • My motive needs to be placed before GOD so HE can guide it.
  • My attitude needs to be adjusted, otherwise I will be easily offended.
  • My desire needs to be aligned with GOD’s ultimate desire.

 

Motive, attitude and desire can easily get me M-A-D. I mean, if I can get mad at a group of people who were praying, I could get mad at anything “I” thought was offensive. It takes spiritual maturity to understand various situations that could easily seem offensive.

 

GOD wants me to grow up. HE wants me to value CHRIST as the common goal and look beyond flawed delivery. Giving my M-A-D to GOD helps me be prepared for HIM to make things clear to me. I am glad HE adjusts me daily.

 

Challenge

  • What rules is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever been offended easily and found out your offense was possibly misplaced by a lack of understanding?
  • Will you seek CHRIST as your motive and allow the HOLY SPIRIT to adjust your attitude and align your desires to what GOD wants, namely to make HIS SON known in a saving way to all?

No comments:

Post a Comment