Thursday, July 28, 2022

Good Thoughts

Good Thoughts

Philippians 4: Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

 

============

 

“Would you go with me?” was my fear filled question. I was scared to go in the basement of our house because I thought there was a scary man living down there. Back then we called this “the Boogey Man.” Eventually I could go downstairs by myself, but I needed the lights to be on. Some people tried to “fix” my fear by having me go downstairs. They turned off the lights. I screamed!

 

  • My fear was real to me.
  • My fear caused me to be unable to go places or do things.
  • My fear guided my decision making.

 

Paul attempts to address, fear, anxiety, doubt and worry. He provides a way out of the deep holes negative thinking can cause. Instead of worrying about what will happen in the future, “think on these things.”

 

My Observations

  • When I think on true, noble and just things, GOD brings clarity to my thinking.
  • When I think on pure, lovely and good report things, GOD pulls me out of temptation that takes me off HIS plan.
  • When I think on virtuous and praiseworthy things, GOD fills my heart with thankfulness and gives me HIS peace which will not make senses to anyone around me.

 

Let’s face it, life can be scary. I mean, someone will always have scary news which can fill the mind with fear. This fear , when handled alone, can open the mind to the enemy’s discouraging tactics. Suddenly the words, “You’ll never…” or “You will always…” grow stronger while faith grows weaker. BUT GOD has this covered.

 

HE places great examples of those who have overcome scary situations in the Bible and in my life. HE then reminds me, through the HOLY SPIRIT, of the many times HE has brought me through things. A battle surges and I want to give into negative memories. “Yeah, but remember this negative thing?” GOD says. “I got that.” I am glad HE gives me a way to control my thoughts and place them on HIM.

 

Challenge

  • What are the opposite of the things listed by the writer?
  • Have you ever had negative thoughts because of a negative report or are afraid to go down a very scary path?
  • Will you remember that GOD is with you and has brought you through many circumstances?
  • Will you fight your mind and allow GOD to put “good report” thoughts in your mind so you can stay on HIS path today?

No comments:

Post a Comment