Friday, July 1, 2022

Competition

Competition

Philippians 2: Don't do anything from selfish ambition or from a cheap desire to boast, but be humble toward one another, always considering others better than yourselves. And look out for one another's interests, not just for your own.

 

============

 

Wanting to get promoted, I worked hard. When I did not get the promotion, I was upset. I asked “Why/” I was told that I did not self-promote well. I started telling people about the “great” job “I” was doing but it still did not work. Then I was told to let other people know how “bad” my peers were doing.

 

  • I really wanted to get ahead by being promoted.
  • I wanted to be known for “my” expertise.
  • I felt “I” deserved to be in charge because “I” knew more and “I” worked harder than others.

 

Paul addresses something that is deeply embedded in everyone, namely selfishness. From birth, humans desire things for themselves. GOD revealed to Paul that selfishness could lead to ambition which could lead to the same pride Satan had when trying to become GOD.

 

My Observations

  • Selflessness is a learned behavior GOD wants me to acquire from JESUS.
  • Being humble towards other people is something GOD wants me to act out so HIS voice can be heard.
  • Looking out for other’s interest is a focus GOD wants me to include while looking out for myself.

 

Competing with other people means someone has to lose. I mean, when “I” get “my” way, and he or she does not, “I” get ahead and someone else is left behind. The world would say “What’s wrong with that?” BUT GOD would say “That is not the path I want you on.”

 

“Selfish” ambition “Cheap” desire and “Boasting” are all qualities that feel so good when used to get “ahead.” BUT GOD sees this as running towards HIS role. HE wants to be GOD while my role is to bring people to HIM. That’s it. I am glad GOD opens my eyes to my competitiveness and shows me a better way.

 

Challenge

  • What is the warning from the writer?
  • Have you ever pouted when another person got ahead and you did not?
  • Have you ever asked GOD “What about me?”
  • Will you consider that GOD has you where you are so you can help other people by looking out for his or her interests while looking out for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment