Friday, July 29, 2022

Old Friends

Old Friends

Philippians 4: 10 In my life in union with the Lord it is a great joy to me that after so long a time you once more had the chance of showing that you care for me. I don't mean that you had stopped caring for me—you just had no chance to show it. 11 And I am not saying this because I feel neglected, for I have learned to be satisfied with what I have.

 

============

 

Returning to the country, I was told things had changed in only two years. An evasive attitude of “self” had began to penetrate this once pristine group of people who would give their last when I met them before. But then I ran into a person I met before. He was warm and friendly. We picked up where we left off.

 

  • I was thankful to see him.
  • I was served by him and I felt welcome.
  • I felt cared for, even though I had not been there in two years.

 

Paul expresses his joy over those who served him again after a long period of being apart. He was excited about their reason for serving him, namely their union with the LORD. He was not seeking to be served because he was satisfied with what he had. But it did feel great.

 

My Observations

  • Old friends who are united because of CHRIST can pick up where they left off.
  • Satisfaction with what I have can enable me to have joy with or without someone serving me.
  • GOD wants me to care for those who pop in and out of my life.

 

“Friends of the road” is a term I heard years ago that meant we meet people who are fast friends, but drift apart as life goes on. This does not mean we did not care for one another, rather life’s circumstances may keep us from directly serving one another.

 

Whenever we reunite, GOD wants joy. HE loves when I pick up where we left off and express care for one another rather than disappointment. I am glad GOD gives me a path to be an old friend to those who come and go in and out of my life.

 

Challenge

  • Can you hear the thankfulness of the writer?
  • Have you ever reunited with someone who you could pick up where you left off?
  • Are you satisfied with your life?
  • Will you point your satisfaction in life to CHRIST to reduce expectations of others so joy can be the bond of your friendships today?

No comments:

Post a Comment