Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Purpose for Pain

Purpose for Pain

Colossians 1: 24 And now I am happy about my sufferings for you, for by means of my physical sufferings I am helping to complete what still remains of Christ's sufferings on behalf of his body, the church.

 

============

 

Stepping down off the porch, my foot landed in a peculiar way. I immediately looked at it and nothing seemed wrong. I walked around as normal the rest of that day. When I wanted to go to bed, I noticed pain. I looked at my foot again, this time it was swollen. I writhed in pain.

 

  • I wanted the pain to be over!
  • I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.
  • I questioned the purpose of pain.

 

Paul definitely suffered for JESUS. When he gave up his luxurious, status filled position as a Pharisee of Pharisees, followers of JESUS did not believe him, and he was outcast from the leaders. The Pharisees imparted great suffering on Paul, but life did not add any comfort as he was bit by a venomous snake and shipwrecked. One thing kept him going, namely JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • CHRIST suffered in anguish over my sins.
  • CHRIST suffered for me and HE is GOD.
  • CHRIST was slandered, blamed, chased, beaten and murdered for me.

 

Pain has purpose. I mean, when I feel pain in my body it could be alerting me that something is wrong or something is on its way to healing. Many people who question GOD ask “Why does GOD allow pain?” That’s a question I have hit HIM with. But as I see what JESUS did I ask a new question. “Why did YOU love me so much that YOU took my punishment?”

 

Avoiding pain is impossible in this life. Suffering seems to surface daily. BUT GOD is fighting battles we can’t imagine. The enemy places painful traps we fall in. I am glad GOD’s purpose of spreading JESUS to all supersedes the pain I go through.

 

Challenge

  • What is the writer “happy” about?
  • Have you ever sacrificed your time, talent or treasure for someone who was really in need so him or her could hear the message of JESUS clearly?
  • It may not be easy, but will you look beyond your pain for a moment and know you are important to GOD and your suffering is there to help others see HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment