Thursday, September 20, 2018

“No” Practice


Luke 9: 23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. 25 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost? 26 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God.”

============

“Do you want some weed?” was the strange question of a person offering the drug to me. “No” I said in an “Are you kidding?” way. “Can you be my lookout as I pick up something” one thug said to me as he was shoplifting. “No” I said as I eased away from the beating. “You want to go out, get drunk and hang with a bunch of loose women?” a buddy asked me. “What time?” I answered.

  • There were many times when I said “yes” when I should have said no.
  • There were many times when the day was filled with “my” desires.
  • There were many times when I had no time for anything else but “me.”


JESUS gives a harder lesson to the crowd. “Deny yourself and follow ME.” This message truly conflicts with the “way of life.” JESUS wanted the crowd to not pay attention to their desires as much and pay attention to HIS desires.

  • GOD wants me to seek HIS face daily.
  • GOD wants me to pray to HIM daily.
  • GOD wants me to make my decisions based on serving HIM daily.


When I want to sin, GOD wants me to practice saying “No.” As with any practice, I will fail and fall into the sin I was trying to avoid. GOD says to me “It’s okay. I forgive you. Try again tomorrow and the next day and the next.” HE knows my short comings and still watches over me, giving me practice to strengthen my faith.

Practice also includes not being ashamed of JESUS. Bold speech about HIM is one thing but HE also wants me to boldly admit my sins and speak on the more shameful sides of me and to do it in HIS name. It takes practice to deny the pride of looking perfect. Only GOD is perfect.

  • Are you trying to pretend everything is well with you when you meet with church goers?
  • Is your life a mess for real but you are wearing a mask?
  • Can you deny your pride and admit the more ugly side of you and tell people you are saved through CHRIST in spite of your actions?


No comments:

Post a Comment