Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Overlooking the Obvious


John 5: 37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

============

“Our FATHER who art in heaven… whole bunch of words… amen!” was the summation of my quick recital of the LORD’s prayer. As soon as I finished mumbling the words I would then add “That means I need my bike fixed” or “That means I need more money.” I hoped I could get GOD to listen by saying some words HE would be familiar with first.

  • There were times when I wanted to play by the rules so I could get GOD to do what I wanted.
  • There were times when I looked at the scriptures as a level of achievement or a measure of my faith.
  • There were times when I desired to be like specific people in the Bible, overlooking what the words were really about.


JESUS speaks to the church leaders saying “You do not have the FATHER’s word inside of you because you do not believe in ME, whom the scriptures are written about.” HE said they were overlooking HIM as they developed sermons about buildings, programs and family management. GOD wants me to think differently.

  • GOD wants me to believe in all of the scriptures HE as reveled to mankind.
  • GOD wants me to believe that every word in the Bible is about JESUS’s love for me.
  • GOD wants me to believe in JESUS as my savior so others can do the same.


Overlooking JESUS is quite easy to do when I am focused on “my” problems. I mean I tear through the scripture trying to see whether it is right or wrong to cut off the person who “I” feel is driving crazy. Soon I make the entire Bible about me and I look at it as a manual to live.

GOD wants me to change my thinking. HE wants me to see a revelation of HIS overflowing love for me. Because of this love, HE wants me to follow HIS example to being those who are rejecting HIM back to HIM. I am grateful that every word is about JESUS.

  • Are you making the Bible about you?
  • Do you try to twist the words of the Bible to make others act different?
  • Will you relook at the Bible and see JESUS’s love for you so HE can guide you by HIS grace?


No comments:

Post a Comment