Monday, July 8, 2019

Shared Memories


John 5: 31 “If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true. 33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved. 35 He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light. 36 But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.

============

Hearing the stories of everyone’s adventures made me feel a bit insecure about my meager summer. I mean the most adventurous thing I had done was to ride my bike more than three blocks away from my house. “Maybe I should make something up to tell people” I thought to myself.

  • There were times when I wanted to feel special.
  • There were times when I wanted to be the center of attention.
  • There were times when I was willing to make up stories so I would be seen as special.


JESUS explains the need for a truthful witness to prove whatever is said and done is true. Since humans could understand the testimony of another human, JESUS uses John the Baptist as HIS example of a person who testified that HE was and is the Messiah. BUT JESUS did not need John’s testimony.

  • JESUS says to me “I AM the one who saves the world.”
  • JESUS tells me “I AM sent by the FATHER who has given ME all authority.”
  • JESUS reveals to me by saying “I AM the one who has given you the HOLY SPIRIT who will comfort you, guide you and beg for you when you are sinning.”


Truth comes from witnesses, otherwise a person could make up a story that cannot be substantiated. While JESUS needs no witnesses, HE revealed to the world HIS power in front of thousands of people. HE was sent by the FATHER and the HOLY SPIRIT agreed in HIS voluntary death sentence. I am grateful the two witnesses agreed on HIS mission to save the me.

  • Do you seek attention?
  • Do you make up stories in order to make others see you as something special?
  • Will you focus your stories on what GOD is doing, in your life and others, so many people will be saved through the words GOD gives you?


No comments:

Post a Comment