Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Entitlement


John 12: 14 Then Jesus, when He had found a young donkey, sat on it; as it is written:
15 “Fear not, daughter of Zion;

Behold, your King is coming,
Sitting on a donkey’s colt.”

16 His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written about Him and that they had done these things to Him.

============

“Could you tell that person they are sitting in ‘my’ seat?” I said to the flight attendant.  I wanted to say “How dare you sit in ‘my’ first class seat” to the person, but figured it would come out wrong. I had flown a lot so I “deserved” this upgrade. The flight was two hours.

  • There were times when I liked rules that helped me get what I “deserved.”
  • There were times when I got excited about programs that awarded me privileges that I could complain to someone about if I didn’t get them.
  • There were times when it was exciting to travel first class, even when it was a short trip.


JESUS had walked miles and miles to get to the city. Once people saw HIM they cheered and threw palms down so HE would not continue to soil HIS feet. HE then got on a small donkey and rode a very short distance into Jerusalem. This was the entry of a King?

  • JESUS wants me to see HIS humbleness.
  • JESUS wants me to see HIS restraint.
  • JESUS wants me to see HIS control over HIS power.


Entitlement creates rage. I mean when I think I “deserve” something better from someone and don’t get it, I get enraged. BUT JESUS showed me a different example. HE deserved everyone bowing down to HIM, yet HIS announcement that HE is King, was celebrated by some, but not all.

HE is GOD. HE is all powerful, all seeing, all knowing, yet HE took the lowest position as a human and was blamed by the church leaders for the sins of all mankind. I am grateful HE is the one who saved me. I am entitled to nothing.

  • What do you think you are entitled to?
  • Do you get enraged when someone is not acting the way you think they should?
  • Will you take time to observe the humility of JESUS today?


No comments:

Post a Comment