Thursday, October 31, 2019

Simple Example


John 13: 12 So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

============

There was something different about this particular leader that I liked. I could not pick out one thing that set this person apart. When I arrived to work, there the person was, greeting me. When I had an issue with something, there the person was to listen. I saw the person making coffee for everyone. The list went on. I wanted to be like that person.

  • Some people have impressed me with the way they acted.
  • Some people have shown me what true leadership looked like.
  • Some people have served me even though I was supposed to be the servant.


JESUS makes HIS actions clear by explaining the foot washing. HE wanted the disciples to understand that it does not take elaborate measures to serve GOD. HE gave them a simple example of serving one another so they would go out and do the same.

  • GOD wants me to serve people.
  • GOD wants me to reduce how I think about myself and increase servanthood to others.
  • GOD wants me to see people as opportunities, not projects or problems.


GOD, with HIS infinite power and wisdom, decided to step off the high throne to wash HIS creation’s feet. HE did not find this as humiliating, rather a prize to be had. HE gets excited about serving me and doe so every day. HE gets more excited when I follow HIS example. I am glad to follow HIS teaching.

  • Do you get angry at others quickly?
  • Do you feel certain people do not deserve to be served?
  • Do you think in order to serve GOD, it has to be something hard or exhausting to do?
  • Will you look at JESUS’s example and be simple about serving others today?


No comments:

Post a Comment