Monday, October 14, 2019

Measured Competitiveness


John 12: Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from the dead. 10 But the chief priests plotted to put Lazarus to death also, 11 because on account of him many of the Jews went away and believed in Jesus.

============

After working hard on “my” project, I wanted to see “us” win the team award. I did my own social poll to see where we stood. I heard another project was being considered along with ours. I hoped their project will fail. I mean it was a stupid concept anyway.

  • There were times when I was highly competitive.
  • There were times when I desired to see someone else lose so I could win.
  • There were times when I viewed life as a competition.


Seeing Lazarus alive made the church leaders furious. I mean they wanted the spotlight and were losing it quickly. How could they follow the act of someone who raised a person from the dead? They couldn’t, so they came up with a plan to kill the evidence.

  • JESUS wants me to drop my competitiveness so others can be drawn to HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to see HIM as the owner of the flock.
  • JESUS wants me to value those who are lagging behind so I can be part of the plan to raise people up, instead of putting them down.


Healthy competition promotes the best in me and those around me. But when I desire to see someone’s demise, I am headed into a world of hatred. GOD wants me to drop words like “those people” and add words like “forgive us.” I am grateful HE brought me into HIS family. With GOD, there is no competition. No one can match HIS power.

  • Are you competing with people?
  • Do you feel someone must lose in order for you to “win?”
  • Will you reassess your competitive desire to be the center of attention and allow GOD to gently guide you to bring others to HIM?



No comments:

Post a Comment