Monday, June 22, 2020

Change Jobs


Acts 12: 16 Now Peter continued knocking; and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished. 17 But motioning to them with his hand to keep silent, he declared to them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, “Go, tell these things to James and to the brethren.” And he departed and went to another place.

18 Then, as soon as it was day, there was no small stir among the soldiers about what had become of Peter. 19 But when Herod had searched for him and not found him, he examined the guards and commanded that they should be put to death.

And he went down from Judea to Caesarea, and stayed there.

============

“I can’t do it” I said in the interview. A group of executives wanted me to fire 33% of the staff if I joined the organization. After the interview, back in my home state, someone said “You need to get tough.” The expectation of me was to go along with decisions that could cause many people to lose their jobs, keeping mine in the process.

  • There were times when I thought being “tough” was good.
  • There were times when I thought nothing of firing people.
  • There were times when I was led by the leaders, no matter how poorly they led.


Peter knew the guards were still in close proximity so when they finally opened the door, he told them to be quiet. He had to leave town. Meanwhile the guards, who were probably very tough, panicked. They had good reason. When they could not find Peter, they were put to death by other “tough” guards at the decree of the leader.

  • GOD wants me to be wise to the world’s sins but not involved in causing them.
  • GOD wants me to understand that I am a sinner who needs JESUS as the answer.
  • GOD wants me to know HE can take care of me without the thing I may be holding onto that is harming other people.


“LORD, what do you want me to do?” was the missing question that I never heard or asked during my rapid rise in my career. I just went with the flow. BUT GOD wanted me to be different. HE wanted me to change jobs.

Unlike the world, JESUS showed grace and extreme mercy on HIS creation. This is missing from the world today. Being “tough” and combative is heralded as a badge of honor. GOD wants me to be tough, but to defend those who are being abused, misled and misdirected. HE wants me to stand for HIS entire kingdom, leaving the vengeance and protection to HIM. In JESUS I put my trust.

  • Are you pursuing something that may be harmful to you and others?
  • Do you think your pursuit will help or hurt GOD’s kingdom?
  • Will you consider asking GOD “What do YOU want me to do?” so HE can guide you to stay or leave for HIM today?


No comments:

Post a Comment