Monday, June 1, 2020

Common Ground


Common Ground
Acts 10: 24 And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 29 Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”

============

“That group messes everything up” I said out loud. I’m sure the department head of the group I was speaking of felt the same way about my department. The Chief Operating Officer had to step in and tell us to “fix this.” “Come meet in my office” I said. But the offer was rejected. He did the same and I rejected the offer to meet.

  • There were times when I wanted people to meet me on “my” terms.
  • There were times when I was told to reconcile, but had no intentions of doing so.
  • There were times when I remembered all of the mess ups of others to show how great my group was.


Peter was summoned by someone of another race. Until then, Peter had kept to his own kind, BUT GOD had another plan. GOD told Peter not to call another race common or unclean. He was sent, so he went.

  • GOD wants me to look at other humans as people who need JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to see other humans as HIS creation.
  • GOD wants me to view other people as “us” instead of them.


Desiring to harm someone because they do not look or act like me, is detestable in GOD’s eyes. I mean HE loathes when I call someone a fool. In fact HE said, “Whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.” GOD wants me to meet in common ground. But where is that in these days of deep, century-laced hatred?

JESUS is the common ground that holds mankind together. Because of a “true” relationship with HIM, I can seek love for all HE sends me to or to whom I am sent. HE cares for the heart, not the outer shell. HE wants me to seek those who need HIM and sometimes the common ground may be hard to find. I am grateful GOD took the extra steps to save me. HE values my extra steps to extend common ground.

  • Are you furious at another race right now?
  • Do you feel anger versus love?
  • Will you combat the distraction of hatred with the more powerful weapon of love for one another today?


No comments:

Post a Comment