Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Getting Wiser


Acts 18: 18 Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken. 19 They arrived at Ephesus, where Paul left Priscilla and Aquila. He himself went into the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews. 20 When they asked him to spend more time with them, he declined. 21 But as he left, he promised, “I will come back if it is God’s will.” Then he set sail from Ephesus. 22 When he landed at Caesarea, he went up to Jerusalem and greeted the church and then went down to Antioch.

============

“How dare they!” I felt with anger. Ready to fight, I went and found people who would back me up. Throwing aside consequence, I wanted to right this wrong and was willing to punch someone in their face. Fortunately, the fight did not break out.

  • There was a time when I was quick with anger.
  • There was a time when I felt rage when someone said the “wrong” thing the “right” way.
  • There was a time when I reacted before I considered if I should even react.


Paul had faced a lot of hardship. From fall of being a Pharisee to rise of being a true follower of JESUS, Paul faced beating and near death spreading the gospel. He wanted to stand out, so he vowed to remain bald. He then did something uncharacteristic by declining a request to stay with a group. “I will come back if it is GOD’s will” he said.

  • GOD wants me to mature in my trust in HIM.
  • GOD wants me to grow in the examples HE gave through JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIS wisdom and let HIM do the fighting.


After getting beat up enough, I say to myself “There has to be a better way.” GOD knew Paul had to suffer. Paul, at one time, pursued murder in the name of GOD. He was growing with wisdom and sought a better way to convince people and allow GOD to do the fighting. GOD wants me to do the same.

HE wants me to plant the seeds of HIS love and allow HIM to bring someone else to water the seeds and HE grow the seeds. HE also wants me to see how slow HE is to anger and how graceful HE is with me daily. I appreciate HIS patience with me.

  • Are you filled with rage?
  • Are you quick to anger and react often?
  • Will you allow GOD to slow your anger so HE can speak through you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment