Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Worthless Commerce


Acts 19: 23 About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way. 24 A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in a lot of business for the craftsmen there. 25 He called them together, along with the workers in related trades, and said: “You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. 26 And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. 27 There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.”

============

Needing money, I quickly thought of ideas for businesses that would bring in income quickly. I looked at triangle shaped schemes, get rich quick investments and begging a crowd for a few dollars each. None of them had any appeal. I felt lost.

  • There were times when I worried about money.
  • There were times when I considered doing “anything” for money.
  • There were times when I felt desperate enough to do something “temporarily” for money that GOD would not be pleased with.


Demetrius was a wealthy, known businessman in the community. He brought the business community together to speak against Paul, who was speaking about JESUS being GOD. Demetrius knew his business would be hurt if people believed in JESUS. Instead of changing professions, he formed a mob.

  • GOD wants me to keep HIS ways in front of me.
  • GOD wants me to base my decisions on HIS commands.
  • GOD wants me to let HIM handle those who will not follow HIM.


Desperation for money can bring on some extreme thoughts. I mean, when I walked in fear, I would lie cheat and steal to get a few dollars. BUT GOD showed me another way. GOD wants me to show love rather than hate when it comes to business.

HE is pleased when I pray for my enemies and treat all people fairly. Bowing down to GOD shows HIM I fear HIM in a healthy way. I am grateful HIS way is always solid.

  • Are you lying to yourself about your profession?
  • Is GOD pleased at what you do on your job or your business?
  • Will you look at the examples of JESUS and believe only in HIM for your next move?


No comments:

Post a Comment