Thursday, April 15, 2021

Clear Conscience

 Clear Conscience

Romans 13: Everyone must obey state authorities, because no authority exists without God's permission, and the existing authorities have been put there by God. Whoever opposes the existing authority opposes what God has ordered; and anyone who does so will bring judgment on himself. For rulers are not to be feared by those who do good, but by those who do evil. Would you like to be unafraid of those in authority? Then do what is good, and they will praise you, because they are God's servants working for your own good. But if you do evil, then be afraid of them, because their power to punish is real. They are God's servants and carry out God's punishment on those who do evil. For this reason you must obey the authorities—not just because of God's punishment, but also as a matter of conscience.

 

That is also why you pay taxes, because the authorities are working for God when they fulfill their duties. Pay, then, what you owe them; pay them your personal and property taxes, and show respect and honor for them all.

 

============

 

Being stopped because of a burned out headlight seemed unfair to me, but it was the law. I explained that I was unaware and demonstrated it by turning on the high-beam lights. The burnt out one came on and the other went off. “Okay, you can go” they all said. There were four police.

 

  • There have been times when I questioned the law enforcers.
  • There have been times when I wondered if I was being singled out.
  • There have been times when I felt relieved I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.

 

Paul speak about following laws of people who may not believe in JESUS as their ruler. He knows that no kingdom, good or bad, could be put in place without GOD’s authority. Paul also spoke about paying taxes to show respect. He knew there was something greater at stake.

 

  • GOD wants me to know the ultimate goal is to spread who JESUS is.
  • GOD knows I need freedom to present the gospel of JESUS.
  • GOD reminds me that I am not of this world so even if scoundrels are flexing momentary authority, HIS authority should be my focus.

 

During these days of racial tension over the misuse of authority, I find the timing of this scripture to be amazing. Also, it is tax day in the country I live in so I find that equally amazing. But what am I to learn? Should I just roll over and let abusers continue with injustice on everything Paul mentions? No, but with a different focus.

 

GOD wants me to make HIM my focus. HE is in control of the abusers and HE protects me. Injustice needs to be called out, as long as the end goal is to speak about JESUS. Meanwhile, I will yield to the temporary authority humans have and show everyone the respect JESUS showed me.

 

  • Are you mad at those in authority?
  • Do you feel you should not yield to their authority because you do not like them?
  • Will you see beyond temporary authority and let GOD provide the vengeance HE promised to the abusers while enabling you to continue to speak about JESUS?

No comments:

Post a Comment