Friday, April 23, 2021

Create the Menu with Love

 

Create the Menu with Love

Romans 14: 13 So then, let us stop judging one another. Instead, you should decide never to do anything that would make others stumble or fall into sin. 14 My union with the Lord Jesus makes me certain that no food is of itself ritually unclean; but if you believe that some food is unclean, then it becomes unclean for you. 15 If you hurt others because of something you eat, then you are no longer acting from love. Do not let the food that you eat ruin the person for whom Christ died! 16 Do not let what you regard as good get a bad name. 17 For God's Kingdom is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of the righteousness, peace, and joy which the Holy Spirit gives. 18 And when you serve Christ in this way, you please God and are approved by others.

 

============

 

Putting together the lunch menu for the business meeting was supposed to be easy. I liked a certain type of food, but when I asked people what their choice was, I was shocked. “You mean you don’t like piles of deliciousness falling off of your plate?” I thought to myself. Several people wanted something different than what I would choose. I changed the menu.

 

  • There have been times when I questioned what people ate.
  • There have been times when I considered letting the ”picky” people, find their own meal.
  • There have been times when I wanted to speak about CHRIST but my menu left people, who had different beliefs, out and I could not share the gospel with them.

 

Arguments over food needed to be addressed, so Paul wrote on this matter. He got to the heart of the matter, speaking to those who felt free to eat anything, telling them to curb their freedom for those who bound themselves to eat a certain way. It was not about the food, but the example.

 

  • GOD wants me to think of others when I eat.
  • GOD wants me to consider my freedom as offensive to those I may be trying to reach.
  • GOD wants me to be flexible temporarily so I can serve those who HE wants to reach.

 

My freedom should not make someone fall. I mean, if I am alright with doing something, eating something or being somewhere that another person cannot handle, I should be flexible enough to pause my freedom for a moment. It’s not worth trying to convince “that” person to eat or drink a certain way.

 

GOD wants a good reputation and HE chooses sinners to provide it. HE wants me to be able to surrender my freedom temporarily, in order to reach the lost. It is not about me, it is about JESUS.

 

  • Are you complaining about the way someone eats or does not eat?
  • Do you think “that” person is weaker in faith?
  • Will you “stop judging one another” and be a good example for CHRIST so you may be “approved by others” for HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment