Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Grown Up

 Grown Up

Romans 12: 14 Ask God to bless those who persecute you—yes, ask him to bless, not to curse. 15 Be happy with those who are happy, weep with those who weep. 16 Have the same concern for everyone. Do not be proud, but accept humble duties. Do not think of yourselves as wise.

 

============

 

Being handed an award for outstanding work felt rather insulting when I was notified the position I held was cut. During the downsizing process, insults were hurled at me and laughter ensued as I had to present my final “next year’s plan.” You won’t be around to see it, they giggled. “YOU mean I am supposed to pray for them!?’ I questioned.

 

  • There were many times when I wanted to ask GOD to drop boulders on those who hurt me.
  • There were many times when I wanted to see those who hurt me to get hurt so they could feel my pain.
  • There were many times when I wanted to gloat at the pain of someone who hurt me, thinking I would feel better.

 

Paul writes something extremely strange. HE tells everyone to “Bless those who persecute you.” What!? He then reemphasizes his bold statement to make sure everyone heard what he said. “Yes, ask HIM to bless, not to curse.” Paul had been beaten, stoned, chased, and slandered. GOD showed him another way to handle bitterness and a poisoned heart.

 

  • GOD wants me to guard my heart from the poison of hatred.
  • GOD wants me to protect my heart from rage and anger.
  • GOD wants me to insulate my heart from bitterness and animosity.

 

Hate breeds more hate. I mean, when I see “that” person get what he or she “deserves” it does nothing. I still have the loss and I still need to heal. It hurts even worse when “that” person seems to walk away unscathed. “YOU mean I have been wronged and “that” person seems to be doing well?” Yes, GOD says, because HE knows how to repair my heart.

 

I sighed and prayed for those who persecuted me to do well. It did not work the first time, but over time it did. I was able to release the poison I had in my heart. I even felt better about my relationship with GOD because HE was pleased with me for growing up.

 

  • Did someone hurt you?
  • Are you still carrying around bitterness for that person after all these years?
  • Will you regain the power of GOD in your life by praying for “that” person to be blessed by HIM and let GOD handle him or her the way HE wants to so HE can repair your heart with grace today?

No comments:

Post a Comment