Friday, April 16, 2021

Looked Over

 

Looked Over

Romans 13: Be under obligation to no one—the only obligation you have is to love one another. Whoever does this has obeyed the Law. The commandments, “Do not commit adultery; do not commit murder; do not steal; do not desire what belongs to someone else”—all these, and any others besides, are summed up in the one command, “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” 10 If you love others, you will never do them wrong; to love, then, is to obey the whole Law.

 

============

 

Getting off the train for the first time on the new job, I ran into a homeless person. I had an extra dollar, so I gave it to him. As I rounded the corner, there was another and another. “I’m sorry, I don’t have anymore” was the lie I told as I had much more in my pocket. The next day it was the same. So the following day I decided to go a different route to avoid seeing the homeless.

 

  • Many times I have overlooked the homeless.
  • Many times I avoided giving to the homeless because the problem seemed too large for me.
  • Many times I said to myself, “I barely have enough for me, let alone this person.”

 

Paul writes about the greatest commandment JESUS spoke about, namely Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” Love is required to obey the Law. But “Who is my neighbor?”

 

  • GOD wants me to love the people in my household and the houses surrounding me.
  • GOD wants me to love the people who are not in my neighborhood, but are out on the street.
  • GOD wants me to love the overlooked such as the poor, widowed and physically sick.

 

When GOD said “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few” HE knew many people would be so focused on their own struggles that we could not open our eyes to another person’s struggles. GOD wants me to take a moment to “see” others and be involved by loving them. Even if it is a cup of water given in love, I have obeyed GOD.

 

  • What will you do to show your love to a stranger or a homeless person today?
  • Will you go out and give to a person in need and do it in secret?
  • Can you add love to your heart so you will see more people who GOD wants you to serve today?

No comments:

Post a Comment