Thursday, April 1, 2021

Kindness Taken for Granted

 

Kindness Taken for Granted

Romans 11: 19 But you will say, “Yes, but the branches were broken off to make room for me.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because they did not believe, while you remain in place because you do believe. But do not be proud of it; instead, be afraid. 21 God did not spare the Jews, who are like natural branches; do you think he will spare you? 22 Here we see how kind and how severe God is. He is severe toward those who have fallen, but kind to you—if you continue in his kindness. But if you do not, you too will be broken off. 23 And if the Jews abandon their unbelief, they will be put back in the place where they were; for God is able to do that. 24 You Gentiles are like the branch of a wild olive tree that is broken off and then, contrary to nature, is joined to a cultivated olive tree. The Jews are like this cultivated tree; and it will be much easier for God to join these broken-off branches to their own tree again.

 

============

 

After being invited to stay for dinner, I felt like I had a second family. I was delighted that my friend’s parents took me in as they did. I started showing up more and more. Soon I became comfortable in their house. We laughed and played music loudly. Then I heard “Turn that music down and start cleaning up!” Uh-oh. Maybe I was getting too comfortable.

 

  • There were times when I took someone’s kindness for granted.
  • There were times when I got a little too comfortable with someone’s kindness.
  • There were times when I was not afraid of my actions when I should have been.

 

Paul carefully explains to the Gentiles that they should not brag about being added to GOD’s family. GOD showed tremendous kindness when HE adopted everyone who believes in JESUS into HIS family.

 

But while GOD is kind, HE is also severe to those who fall away from HIM. HE cannot wait for HIS chosen people to turn back to HIM, but HE is willing to break off the branch of those who refuse to believe in JESUS.

 

  • GOD wants me to believe in JESUS for the forgiveness of all my sins.
  • GOD wants me to be relieved that I can still sin and be saved by grace.
  • GOD wants me to reduce sinning day by day so I will not fall into HIS wrath of consequence for sinning.

 

JESUS paid it all. HIS death, burial and resurrection took care of any sin I could ever do. BUT GOD still has another side, namely wrath. HE sees when I try to do things without HIM and allows me to go my own way.

 

I fall into sin and GOD allows a small amount of wrath to come into my life. Fortunately HE doesn’t pour out HIS full wrath on me, just enough to get my attention. I am grateful for HIS correction.

 

  • Are you taking GOD’s kindness for granted?
  • Do you think HE does not see the sin you are hiding or will not do something about what you have done?
  • Will you thank GOD for saving you and ask HIM how HE wants you to follow HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment