Thursday, May 20, 2021

Following the Fallen

 

Following the Fallen

1 Corinthians 1: 10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose. 11 For some people from Chloe's family have told me quite plainly, my friends, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Let me put it this way: each one of you says something different. One says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Peter”; and another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Christ has been divided into groups! Was it Paul who died on the cross for you? Were you baptized as Paul's disciples?

 

============

 

Watching a “successful” person was my way of getting ahead. If I could just mimic a few characteristics of “that” person, then I could be a “successful” too. I read articles, books and listened to words from the person I followed. But then it happened. That person fell from the grace of the public. Oh well, on to the next person.

 

  • There have been many people I have admired.
  • There have been many people I have followed to get their advice.
  • There have been many people I have sought after to try to be “successful.”

 

Paul addresses an issue in Corinth. Some people were following him, others Apollos, and others were following Peter. This caused quarrels that were brought to his attention. Paul could have said, “Just follow what I say”, but he knew that was not the answer.

 

  • GOD wants me to build a following for HIM.
  • GOD wants me to point people to HIM rather than to me.
  • GOD wants me to follow CHRIST and not the preacher of the day.

 

Humans rise and fall. I mean, one day I am preaching CHRIST, the next day I have fallen into sin. GOD knows the human heart. HE also knows how desperately wicked each human really is. HE supplied the only cure, namely HIMSELF.

 

JESUS volunteered to die for all humans and was raised from the dead. JESUS deserves the following for HE and HE alone never fell. I gladly follow JESUS over any human.

 

  • Are you following a certain person?
  • Do you admire their success?
  • Will you take a moment to reassess who you are following and see if you are following JESUS with a personal relationship today?

No comments:

Post a Comment