Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Superiority

 

Superiority

1 Corinthians 1: 21 For God in his wisdom made it impossible for people to know him by means of their own wisdom. Instead, by means of the so-called “foolish” message we preach, God decided to save those who believe. 22 Jews want miracles for proof, and Greeks look for wisdom. 23 As for us, we proclaim the crucified Christ, a message that is offensive to the Jews and nonsense to the Gentiles; 24 but for those whom God has called, both Jews and Gentiles, this message is Christ, who is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For what seems to be God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and what seems to be God's weakness is stronger than human strength.

 

============

 

“Let me go and teach ‘those’ people about the Bible” was my thought. I had freshly taken another class at a well known Bible institute and I was headed on my first missions trip. When I arrived a man who walked 20 miles to hear me spoke about the Bible in ways I was unfamiliar. He ended up teaching me more than I taught anyone on that trip.

 

  • There have been times when I thought “my” knowledge was superior.
  • There have been times when I thought “I” had more wisdom than others.
  • There have been times when I thought “If only a miracle would happen in front of people who do not believe, then ‘they’ would believe.”

 

Paul explains the false belief in human wisdom. He knew that some of the church leaders would scoff at the message of JESUS being the Messiah. He also knew that some scientific leaders would scoff at JESUS because of the popular belief in their knowledge. BUT GOD has something else to say.

 

  • GOD wants me to believe in JESUS without question.
  • GOD wants me to believe in JESUS without needing to prove HIS power.
  • GOD wants me to believe in JESUS without thinking I am smarter than HIM or HIS humans HE created.

 

Superiority may come from insecurity. I mean, when I want to be heard, I may study something and try to be the ‘best’ at that subject to prove to other humans I am superior in ‘my’ industry. BUT GOD laughs at ‘my’ knowledge. When I think ‘I’ am superior, I never ask myself, “What if I am wrong?” or “What if I should not be heard because my heart is wrong?”

 

Superiority takes over and makes me not see JESUS in my life when I should. I may judge someone or label ‘that’ person incorrectly, never admitting that I am not GOD and cannot see what is in a person’s heart. Only GOD is wise. I am glad I am not superior and admit I need GOD.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment